14 April 2005

Information 'HIGH'

Another couple of week till my little chalet/bbq gathering that I am organizing in conjunction to celebrate my 25th birthday. Reasons for this event are pretty simple. Firstly, I know that I will not have the time to organise something of this scale next year since I'll be doing my final year and it will be the most crucial time - exams period. Secondly, right now I'm doing my Industrial Attachment, so I still have some money to spare to whip up such an event since the last 1 I organised 3 years ago when I was still serving my last year of National Service. Thirdly, I foresee that I won't be having much chance/time to organise owing to the hard to predict work schedule everybody have by then (including myself).

Anyway, enough of my logics and explanations, here are the details

Venue : Pasir Ris (Costasands) Chalet [No not Downtown East]
See here for map to board the shuttle service to the chalet.
See here for the timing of shuttle bus service.
Chalet : Exact spot to be confirmed at a later date
Date : 30th April (saturday)
Time : About 5.30pm onwards tentatively

Additional info : Costa Sands Resort (Pasir Ris) is located at 159M,
Jalan Loyang Besar, Pasir Ris Park, Singapore 509404. Tel: 65822537
Fax: 65822098

Parking charges are as follows:
Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays, School/Public Holidays, and Eve of Public
Holidays - $3 per entry for Car $1 per entry for Motorcycle
Mondays to Thursdays (10.00 am to 11.00 pm) - Free

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yet another day at the office. This week has been unusually relaxing yet entertaining. Why? Well, I'm reporting my work progress slower than what I've actually accomplished, thus I've more time to do miscellaneous things including chatting a LOT during office hours hahaha.

Anyhow, lemme share this unusual encounter from a fellow IA friend that I got to know of since January.
The fellow that I'm talking about here is a cool naming Indonesian guy. He's from the School of Computer Engineering from NTU.

Situation #1 -
CD-ROM/VIDEO/SOUND
Me : I put in my audio cd into my cd-rom and plugged my earphones to the front audio output socket of the cd-rom and listening to my songs happily (Didn't have chance to bring my mp3s to work yet since it was beginning of the IA only)
Him : Puts in a data disc containing some video clips into the cd-rom and playback the video. Plugs his earphones into the front audio output socket of the cd-rom as well.
Me : *Stunned*
Him : *Still fiddling with media player as to why he couldn't hear any sound*
Me : *Still Stunned and very much Dumbfolded*
Him : (Ask me) "Hey, do you know why there's no sound?"
Me : Err ... You should plug your earphone jack to the rear of your computer where there is a light green audio socket.
Him : Oh, ok. (fiddles somemore with the media player. Never touch hardware connections at all)
Me : O_O??
Him : *Continues to fiddle somemore*
Me : *Walks up and attempted to resolve his 'issue'*
Me : ("Marvelled" by SCE students' degree of computer knowledge)
.................................................................................................................

Situation #2 - LAPTOP/MOUSE/FILE COPY
Him : Using a laptop that he was being issued to work on a presentation slide show without an external mouse via P/S2 or USB. Trying to copy 2 files on desktop to specific folder <- window already open.
Still Him : Using 2 hands on the mouse-touch-pad (not those mouse knob you see on IBM laptops) attempting very hard to hold down the left click button with his left thumb and manuvering his left+right index fingers over the touchpad to move the 2 files (being 'dragged' in a repeated 'passing baton motion/sequence' between his 2 index fingers) to the opened destination window...
Me : o.o?!
Him : *Taking awfully long time trying to 'drag' the files as though they've each weighed a million ton.*
Me : (Feeling perplexed, asked him...) What are you doing ?
Him : Ah!~ Finally moved the 2 files to the folder (said with a sense of satisfaction)
Me : Errr ... how come you're using 2 hands ?
Him : Oh, the mouse touch pad isn't sensitive enough.
Me : Hmmmm, you could have highlighted the 2 files on the desktop and used the hotkeys 'ctrl+x' and then 'ctrl+v' on the destination folder isn't it ?
Him : Oh~ Yea, I forgot about it.
Me : OTL (see link for meaning if you don't understand)
.................................................................................................................

Situation #3 - FOOLSCAP/ALWAYS DEPRESSED WINDOWS/CLICK CLICK...
Him : *Clicking on his 2times normal windows task bar at the bottom of the screen trying to call up the specific window. However, non seem to pop up and only appeared 'depressed' like a button upon clicking*
Him : *Puzzled, continues to click somemore/other window and resulting in even more 'depressed buttons'*
Him : (asks me) Hey, do you know how come I can't call up the windows ?
Me : *Looks at this window, then his desk-top equipment/items placeing* Try moving your foolscap paper pad away from your keyboard.
Him : *shifts away his foolscap paper pad and tries to click on the taskbar* Oh, its working now. What did you do? How come like that?
Me : Errrr, your foolscap paper pad is depressing the 'ctrl' button on your keyboard.
Him : Oh, okay, hey thanks a lot.
Me : You're welcome... (o.o;)
.................................................................................................................

Situation #4 - BART SIMPSON/WALLPAPER/URL/SUPERVISOR
Me : (I happen to see a very interesting signature picture that somebody had used on hardwarezone forums. It was a Bart Simpson picture showing him writing on the chalkboard the words:"I will search on google before I ask any stupid question...". So during my free time at work, I was surfing around and found a link to it, it was a configurable script where you can input anything you wish Bart to 'write' on the chalk board, so I keyed in the exact same words above, took a screenshot and tiled it as my wall paper.)
Him : *rolls his chair over just before lunch* Hey, lets go eat *stares into my monitor*
Me : Okay.
Him : Hey, thats a nice wallpaper. You know, my supervisor always tell me that.
Me : *dumbfolded/stupidified and dunno what to say or to laugh* Oh... hmm... *I was like @A@;;; how to respond sia ...*
.................................................................................................................

THE END OF SITUATIONS
FOR NOW ...
STAY TUNED FOR MORE?...


.................................................................................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment